This superb, easy-paced trekking holiday has been refined and extended for 2017 and provides the perfect introduction to the foothills of the Nepal Himalaya. We start out with a city sightseeing tour in Kathmandu, before flying on to Nepal'ssecond city, Pokhara. Six days of trekking then takes us to some of the prettiest villages in the valley of the Modi Khola, on the south side of the Annapurnas. Staying in comfortable and characterful Ker and Downey lodges, with twin-share rooms and en-suite facilities, we will be able to enjoy some of the most picturesque landscapes in Nepal. Lush, green farmland, terraced fields, tumbling streams, smiling villagers and the backdrop of some of the world's great peaks, including Annapurna 1 and the stunning 'Fish Tail' peak of Machhapuchhre. Walking through rhododendron forest, with tree orchids, magnificent magnolias and several species of monkey, we will stay each night at a different lodge, each with its own particular charm, great food and outstanding views. Returning to Pokhara, we spend a night at a very comfortable resort hotel, before making the short drive to the Newari village of Bandipur. Famed for the quality of its architecture, which dates back several hundred year, this is a great place to spend a couple of nights, do some exploring, meet the Nepali people and soak up those final views of the Himalayas. Our Ker and Downey lodge close to Bandipur is called the Three Mountain Lodge for good reason. Three of the world's 8000 metre peaks can be seen from our private balconies - Dhaulagiri, Annapurna and Manaslu. Using first class hotel accommodation in Kathmandu and absolutely the best standard of lodge available on the south side of the Annapurnas, this really is a 'pampered' one week trekking holiday
Day 1 Meet at the group hotel in Kathmandu, Transfers from Kathmandu Airport are provided
- The group will rendezvous at our hotel in Kathmandu. Transfers from Kathmandu Airport are provided. Depending on your arrival time, you may have the opportunity to do some independent exploration in this colorful and bustling city. Alternatively, you may prefer to recover from your journey by relaxing in the hotel gardens or beside the pool.
Day 2 Sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Today we have arranged a half day's guided sightseeing tour of several of the main sights of the Kathmandu Valley such as the 'Monkey Temple' of Swayanabath, the Hindu Temple of Lord Shiva in Pashupatinath, Durbar Square, and Boudhanath, the largest Buddhist stupa in Nepal. After our sightseeing tour the rest of the day is free to relax in the hotel gardens or beside the pool, or for further independent sightseeing. In the evening, we will meet up again and go out to dinner with our guide in another of Kathmandu's best restaurants.
Day 3 Fly via Kathmandu to Pokhara. Then transfer to the roadhead and trek to Birethanti (1025m)
- Returning to the airport in the early morning we will check in at the domestic terminal for the highly scenic 30 minute flight to Nepal's second city, Pokhara. This spectacular flight offers views of the Langtang, Manaslu and Annapurna ranges. We are met on arrival at Pokhara Airport and taken by vehicle (1 hour) to the start of our walk. Together with our local trek crew, we then follow a trail through the lower foothills of the Annapurnas with surrounding views of the Pokhara Valley. Finally we descend to the very comfortable Ker and Downey Sanctuary Lodge in the valley of the Modi Khola. Lunch is at the lodge and there is the option in the afternoon to walk to the nearby village of Birenthanti (1025m). Alternatively, you can rest at the lodge and do a bit of local exploration and birdwatching.
Day 4 Trek to the Ker and Downey Himalaya Lodge in Ghandruk (2012m)
- After breakfast, we leave the lodge and walk out through farmland and scattered small farms, following the course of the Modi Khola, which is the river flowing down from the Annapurna Sanctuary. We follow the river's true right bank, heading generally northwards and with the impressive sacred peak of Machhapuchhre (Fish Tail) ahead of us. Soon we begin to climb out of the valley and up towards the mountains. The trail passes through small hamlets, terraced rice fields and forests with spectacular views of the surrounding valley. Snacks are provided along the trail. We arrive at the Himalaya Lodge in Ghandruk in the early afternoon and a hot lunch is served on arrival. There are fantastic views from the lodge of the arrayed peaks of the Annapurna Massif.
Day 5 We trek across the valley of the Modi Khola to Landruk (1565m)
- After enjoying a relaxing breakfast and the glorious views from the Himalaya Lodge, we start our trek to Landruk. After leaving the village of Ghandruk, the trail descends steeply to the banks of the Modi River. Here, we will be able to see some of the cliffs where the famed honey hunters of Nepal climb on ropes to raid the nests of the world's largest (and most dangerous) honey bees. We cross the river on a sturdy suspension bridge and from here trek up on a switchback trail to the village of Landruk. Here, we have more great views of the Annapurna range. After lunch at the Ker and Downey La Bee Lodge, our guide will take us on a sightseeing tour of this pretty mountain village.
Day 6 We trek south-eastwards across the grain of the country to Majhgaon (1400m)
- Leaving Landruk and the valley of the Modi Khola, today's walk contours the valley-side to the east and heads south, with fairly minor undulations, passing through picturesque villages and farmland with great views looking back to the Annapurnas. We will reach the Ker and Downey Gurung Lodge near to Majhgaon in time for lunch. The lodge is built to resemble a traditional Nepalese village and every room has spectacular views of the surrounding valley and mountains. The afternoon can be spent in the lodge gardens or we can opt to do some exploration to nearby villages with our guide.
Day 7 Trek to Dhampus (1525m) with great views of the Annapurnas
- This morning we start out trekking through the unspoilt village of Patlekhet. Our walk takes us through sub-tropical forests that include tree orchids, rhododendrons and magnolias. Along the way, we will stop at the village of Pothana where many Tibetan traders live and sell their souvenirs. Once again, we aim to reach our next lodge in time for lunch. Our accommodation for the night is at the small, but splendid Ker and Downey Basanta Lodge, where we are treated to sweeping views of the entire Annapurna Range. After lunch at the lodge there will be an optional walk through the old village of Dhampus.
Day 8 Trek out to the road, return to Pokhara and overnight in a hotel
- After a leisurely breakfast at our lodge, we have a short downhill walk of about an hour and a half along a scenic ridge to the farmland and scattered houses of the broad Yangdi Khola Valley. Here, we meet the road and our waiting vehicle and make the 30-minute transfer to Pokhara. During this transfer, we have the option to stop at the Tibetan refugee camp, which has an interesting temple complex. Arriving in Pokhara, we check in at a luxurious resort hotel. Located on Phewa Tal, one of Nepal's largest lakes, Pokhara is a very laid-back city and its Lakeside district is vibrant with interesting shops cafes and bars, all with the sensational backdrop of the Annapurnas. After lunch the afternoon is free to explore this quite charming town. There is also the option to trek up to the 'Peace stupa' for a birds-eye view over the lake, or to take a boat out onto the water. We return to the hotel in the evening for dinner.
Day 9 Drive to Bandipur, village sightseeing and short trek to the Ker and Downey Three Mountain Lodge (1011m)
- We will make a reasonably early start ahead of the 2-hour drive to the traditional Newari village of Bandipur which sits on a high ridge above the Pokhara to Kathmandu highway. When we get there we will take our lunch at the 'Old Inn' and here we will meet a local guide who will show us around the village. Bandipur grew up as a part of the Magar Kingdom of Tanahun and dates back several hundred years. It was once a staging post on a trade route between India and Tibet. With its 18th century architecture and narrow streets, it's a great place to spend a couple of hours. We will then set off on a short trek, which involves an initial descent into a valley where we find a mix of forest and farmland. There are several hamlets and schools along the trail and the final 40 minutes involve a steady climb to our overnight accommodation at the splendid Ker and Downey Three Mountain Lodge. Situated on a ridge at a little over 1000 metres, the lodge command views of three 8000 metres peaks; Dhaulagiri, Annapurna I and Makalu. After checking in, drinks will be served around the central fireplace. Later, dinner will be served in the dining room.
Day 10 A day at the Three Mountain Lodge, with optional walks
- We will be woken with a cup of tea or coffee in our rooms. If the mountains are clear, we can sit on our private verandas and enjoy the spectacular views of Dhaulagiri, Annapurna I and Makalu. Then, after breakfast, we will set off on a short walk amongst orange trees to visit 2 local schools. As an alternative, we can walk to a higher viewpoint peak from where the panorama of mountains to the north is even more impressive and we also have views southwards towards Chitwan and the Terai. We will return to the lodge for lunch and then go out with the guide again to visit a couple of local villages, where we may be able to meet retired Gurkhas . This area has been little visited and retains much of its charm. We return to spend a second night at the Three Mountain Lodge.
Day 11 Walk back to Bandipur for a final look around before driving to Kathmandu.
- After breakfast at this special lodge, we will walk back to Bandipur, where we meet our transport and set off on the 3-hour drive eastwards along the Prithvi Highway to Kathmandu. After checking in at our hotel, there should be a couple of hours to rest and freshen up ahead of dinner. Overnight at Gokarna Forest Resort.
Day 12 A free day in Kathmandu.
- One of the attractions of any visit to Nepal is the chance to walk the streets of Kathmandu, which present a fascinating mosaic of shops, cafes and restaurants, food markets and street vendors, as well as a bewildering array of colourful temples and shrines. Kathmandu is a very safe city (provided you watch out for the traffic) and exploring on your own is great fun. This evening we will get together again for a celebratory dinner to mark the end of a most excellent trip
Day 13 Departure day. Transfers to Kathmandu Airport are provided
- Transfers to Kathmandu Airport are provided. For extension trips, please contact our office
Trip Duration: 13 days / 12 nights
Trekking Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
Trip Activity: Comfort Lodge Trek
Maximum altitude: 2,000m
Accommodation: 7 nights' Luxury Lodge; 1 night' hotel; 4 nights hotel with swimming pool
Services: All internal travel and meals as per program
Trip Group Size: 2-10 people
USD 2195 per person on twin sharing
Single Supplement: USD 625
- An English-speaking local leader
- Kathmandu Airport transfers
- Internal flights and all land transport included in the itinerary
- 4 nights’ accommodation in Gokarna Forest Resort on BB Basis / Twin Sharing (Kathmandu)
- 1 night accommodation in Atithi Resort and Spa on BB Basis/ Twin Sharing (Pokhara)
- 7 nights’ accommodation in Ker and Downy Resort on FB Basis/ Twin Sharing (On Trek)
- All meals throughout the holiday
- Full day sightseeing tour of Kathmandu Valley including guide and entrance fees
- Once on trek the group will be assisted by porters and experienced Sherpa guides (1:4 ratio)
Service not include
- Travel Insurance
- Nepalese Visa
- Tips for porters and other trek staff
- Miscellaneous expenses - drinks and souvenirs etc.
Fixed Departure Dates
|Start Dates||End Dates||Size||Price (per person)||Remarks||Availability||Booking|
|Apr 23, 2017||May 05, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2195||-||Open||BOOK|
|May 21, 2017||Jun 02, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2195||-||Open||BOOK|
|Sep 04, 2017||Sep 16, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2195||-||Open||BOOK|
|Sep 25, 2017||Oct 07, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2195||-||Guaranteed||BOOK|
|Oct 26, 2017||Nov 07, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2195||-||Open||BOOK|
|Nov 13, 2017||Nov 25, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2195||-||Guaranteed||BOOK|
|Dec 04, 2017||Dec 16, 2017||2-10 people||USD 2455||-||Open||BOOK|